What is powder coating?
Powder coating is a method of applying a decorative and protective finish to a wide range of materials and products that are used by both industries and private consumers. The powder used for this process is a mixture of finely ground particles of pigment and resin, which is sprayed onto a clean, prepared surface. The electrically charged powder particles adhere to the grounded surfaces until heated/fused in a cure oven. The result is a uniform, durable, high quality, and attractive finish.
What does the process look like?
- You bring us your metal item for powder coating. It should be free of grease, oil, paint or other debris. In many cases the item or items may need to be media blasted and/or power washed to promote the best adhesion.
- Once the part is thoroughly cleaned, and you have selected a color, a special spray gun is used to apply the powder. The spray gun electro-statically charges and sprays the powder, creating an attraction between the powder and the part. This unique process does not require a traditional primer coat.
- The last step is a trip to the oven where the finish is heated, fused, and cured onto the parts.
What can be powder coated?
The item must be 30 feet long or less, conduct an electrical current and be able to withstand the temperature required to bake and cure the finish. The most common items that are powder coated are:
- Auto parts
- Motorcycle parts
- Metal fencing & gates
- Tractor parts
- Bicycle frames
- Metal Artwork
- Lawn furniture
- Lawn Ornaments
- Machinery and storage containers for the following industries: Medical, Defense, Marine, Agricultural & Food Processing to just name a few.
How long does a powder coat last for?
Powder coatings are considered extremely resilient lasting virtually forever depending on the environment. Powder coatings are commonly used on automotive parts and commercial and residential appliances because of their excellent chip resistance, hardness and or chemical resistance. They are even used for protecting oil pipelines deep in the ground or water.
What are the benefits of powder coating?
- There are a wide variety of attractive finishes
- Powder coat finishes are very durable
- Powder coating goes on evenly and does not run
- The process is very affordable
- Environmentally friendly